SCHEME OF INSTRUCTION AND EXAMINATION
The scheme of instruction and examination is followed as per the norms laid down by the affiliating Osmania University, which are released in the academic regulations. The following are as per the Academic Regulations for B.E. courses from A.Y.2018-19.
Instruction in the various courses in each semester of all the four years shall be provided by theDean, Faculty of Engineering, Osmania University as per the Scheme of Instructions and SyllabiPrescribed. This is available in the following site: http://www.uceou.edu/DeanFE.html
The distribution of marks for Continuous Internal Evaluation (CIE) and the Semester EndExamination (SEE) shall be as follows:
Continuous Internal Evaluation(CIE)
Semester End Examination (SEE)
Each theory Course
Each practical or drawing Course
for which 2/3periods/week are
provided in the Scheme of
Each practical or drawing course
for which 4 Periods / week are
provided in the Scheme of
Note: Semester End Examination (SEE) means University Examination.
Based on combined marks (i.e. CIE + SEE) obtained by the candidate Letter Grades areawarded and the corresponding Grade Points are shown in the Tablebelow:
90% and above
80% and above but less than 90%
70% and above but less than 80%
60 % and above but less than 70%
50 % and above but less than 60%
40 % and above but less than 50%
* Out of 30 marks forContinuous Internal Evaluation (CIE) for Theory Course, 10 marks are allotted for Assignments /Quizzes etc. At least two Assignments and one Quiz are to be conducted.The rest of the 20 marks are allotted for internal test. Two Internal Tests will be conducted in each semester. Each test will carry 20 marks, out of which 6 marks are for Part-A consisting of objective and short answer questions and14marks are for Part-B consisting of subjective questions. Average of two tests plus marks obtained in assignments/quizzes etc., will constitute the marks obtained by individual candidate underCIE.
** Out of 25 or 50 CIE marks for Practical or Drawing course, respectively, 10 or 20 areallotted for viva-voce examination and 15 or 30 marks are awarded for class performance, record andobservations, respectively.
+ The question paper for SEE, which carries 70 marks, will be in two parts, viz., Part-A and Part-B. Part-A (20 marks) is compulsory and it consist of 8 to 10 questions (short answer) covering the entire syllabus. Part- B (50 marks) consist of five questions (long answer) covering all the units ofsyllabus.
#Out of 50 marks under CIE for project, 25 marks are awarded by the Guide/Supervisor and remaining 25 are awarded by the subject expert committee constituted by the concerned Head of the Department at the respectiveCollege.
##The evaluation of BE project for maximum of 100 marks will be done as per guidelines given below:
40 Marks are allocated for quality of the project workcovering
Relevance / Practicalapplication.
30 Marks are allocated to Reportwriting/Documentation.
30 Marks are allocated for candidates’ performance in terms of his/her viva-vice examination and overall subjectknowledge.
Note: A course which is evaluated based on CIE with no University Examination as per the scheme is treated as Pass when the candidate obtains 50% inCIE.
The details of instruction period, examination schedule, vacation etc. shall be notified by the Dean, Faculty of Engineering, OsmaniaUniversity.
The medium of instruction and examination shall beEnglish.
At the end of each semester, Semester End Examination shall be conducted as prescribed inthe respective Schemes of Examination. The examinations pertaining to the semester conducted immediately after the semester is termed as Main Examination and the examinations pertaining to the other semesters conducted thereafter will be called as SupplementaryExaminations.
To enable- the B.E. Final Year students to complete the program requirements in time, there shall be a Make-up Exam, for VIII semester only, which will be scheduled within one month after publication of results of VIII semester (SEE) MainExaminations
All the examination in Theory Course shall be conducted as written examination for duration as prescribed in the Scheme of Examination. The examination in Laboratory Courses shall be conducted as written and oral together by carrying out the experiments as required in the specificLaboratory Course for the specified duration. Laboratory record of experiments conducted during semester is also required to be produced at the semester end examination. For the Project work (mini or major), the related document (Report) is to be produced at the time of oralexamination.
All the general rules for examinations shall be adheredto.
A candidate shall be deemed to have fully passed a course (Theory/Practical), if he/she secures not less than the minimum marks/grade as prescribed. Minimum pass marks / grade in the University Examinations (SEE) plus CIE shallbe.
No.ofbacklogcredits,ifanyofB.E.ItoVISemestersputtogethershallnot exceed 50% of the total No. of credits prescribed for the B.E. V & VI Semesters.
No. of credits prescribedfor
III - Semesterand IV -Semester
No. of credits permitted as backlogs
No. of credits prescribed for
III - Semester and IV -Semester
No. of credits permitted as backlogs
From VII Semester to VIII Semester
Regular program of study of B.E. VII - Semester and registration* for the VII - Semester Examination.
For Course Completion
Regular program of study of B.E. VIII - Semester and registration* for the VIII - Semester Examination.
Note: * Registration means obtaining a Hall ticket for the said examination.
If a candidate has more than permitted number of credits as backlogs, he/she will be detained. The candidate who wishes to take readmission into the year in which he/she is detained has to pay the total tuition fee of that year and all the credits earned during that year shall become null and void.
If the number of credits permitted as backlogs is not a whole number, the credits are rounded to next higher digit/wholenumber.
GRADING SYSTEM & AWARD OF DEGREE
The following are adopted under the
(A) Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) Regulation - for the students admitted into the B.E. programs in the Academic Years 2016-17 and 2017-18, and
(B) AICTE Model Curriculum (AMC) Regulation – for the students admitted into the B.E. programs in the Academic Years 2018-19 and later.
Candidates who have passed all the examinations of the B.E. Degree Program shall be awarded Division in accordance with the grades secured by them in all eight Semesters taken together, including the CIE marks secured in thosesemesters.
The Grade secured by the candidate will be shown in the Memorandum of Marks as per his/her performance both in SEE and CIE together and as per the norms indicated in clause 4.3 of the Academic Regulation.
A minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 5 is required for the award of Degree. The consolidated memorandum of marks will reflect the Credits & Grade obtained by the candidates in all the course of B.E. Program.
Semester Grade Point Average (SGPA) & Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) Calculations:
SGPA is calculated up to second decimalpoint
SGPA is calculated only when all subjects in that semester areCleared/Passed
CGPA at a given point of Semester is calculated up to second decimalpoint
CGPA is calculated only when total credits earned are equal to total credits prescribed as per the scheme, up to a semester in which the candidate has last appeared for Semester EndExamination(SEE).
AWARD OF DEGREE
ThedegreeofBachelorof Engineeringwillbeconferredoncandidatewhohaspursuedaregular program ofstudyoffouracademicyearsashereinafterprescribedintheSchemeofInstruction and has passed all the examinations as prescribed in theScheme of Examinations.
AWARD OF DIVISION
CGPA6.5 and above but lessthan7.5 :FirstClass
CGPA5.5 andabove but less than6.5 :SecondClass
CGPA5.0 and above but lessthan5.5 :PassClass
AWARD OF GOLD MEDAL
A student securing highestCGPAinsingleattemptiseligibleforaward ofGoldMedal.
IMPROVEMENT OF OVERALL SCORE
1. Acandidatewhowishestoimprovehis/herOverallscoremaydosowithinoneacademicyear immediatelyafterhavingpassedalltheexaminationsoftheBE.degreeprogram,byreappearing atnot morethantwosemesters(allsubjectspertainingtothesemestertakentogether) examinations.Fortheawardof theOverallscore,he/shewillhavethebenefitof thehigherof the two aggregatesof marks / grades secured inthe correspondingsemester(s).
2. IncaseofcandidateswhohavesecuredCGPAlessthan5mayappearforimprovementin individualsubjectstobecomeeligiblefor the award of Degree withinone year from the date ofcompletion ofVIII-Semester.
GENERAL RULES OF EXAMINATIONS
1. Applicationforpermissionto appearateveryexaminationshallbemadeontheprescribed form,accompaniedbythreepassportsizefullfacephotographs(notprofile)whichalongwith the necessary certificates regarding attendance, practical work etc., and the prescribed fee, shouldbesenttotheControllerof Examination;(COE)O.UthroughthePrincipalof theCollege where candidate is enrolledas a regularstudent.
2. When a candidate's application isfoundin order and he/she is eligibletoappear at an Examination, theCOE, O.U.shallfurnishhim withaHallTicket,enablingthecandidatetoappear inthe Examination, andthisHall-Ticketshallhavetobeproducedby theCandidatebeforehe/sheis admitted tothe premiseswhere the Examination is conducted.
3. ACandidatewhodoesnotpresenthimself/herselffortheexaminationforanyreasonwhatsoever, exceptingshortageofattendance,shallnotbeentitledtoclaimrefundofthewholeorpartof the examination fee forsubsequentExamination(s).
4. A candidate afterhe/shehas been declaredsuccessful inthe whole examination, shallbe givena ProvisionalCertificateindicatingtheyearof examination,theprograminwhichhe/shewas examinedand,theoverallGrade(CGPA)secured.However,thecandidateshave toobtaindegree certificate from the University Examination branch asperthe notification issuedby it.
5. No candidate shall be allowedtoput inattendance formultiple programandappearat examinationsforthe samesimultaneously.
6. Studentswhohaveappearedonceatanyexaminationofthe programneednotputinfresh attendance,iftheywishtoreappearatthecorrespondingexamination,notwithstandingthefact thattheUniversitymayhaveintroducednewcourses.Theywill,however,have toappearatthe examinations according to the scheme ofexamination and syllabi inforce.
WheneveraCourseor Schemeof Instructionisrevised/modifiedinaparticularsemester/year, twomoreexaminationsimmediatelyfollowing thereaftershallbeconductedaccordingtotheold syllabus/regulations.Candidatesnotappearingattheexaminationsorfailinginthemshalltake the examinationsubsequently accordingto the revisedsyllabus andregulations.
A student should get160Credits to be eligible to get Under-graduate degree, Bachelor of Engineering.
Astudentwillbeeligible togetUnder-graduatedegreewithHonoursoradditionalMinor Engineering, ifhe/shecompletesanadditional20credits.Thesecouldbeacquiredthrough MOOCs.
[AMassiveOpenOnlineCourse(MOOC)is a free Web-baseddistance learning programthat is designed forthe participation of large numbers of geographically dispersedstudents. AMOOCmay be patternedon a college or university course or may be less structured].
Internal Examinations:If a student is not satisfied with marks awarded in the internal assessment, he/she may reach to the concerned faculty member to sort out discrepancies. If it does not get solved with the concerned faculty, the studentcan appeal to the concerned Head of the department (HOD) for remediation. The HOD shall discuss with the concerned faculty to evaluate the correctness of the matter, and if required can set-up a committee to evaluate the issue and give a solution.
External Examinations:If a student is not satisfied with the external exam results, he/she can go for revaluation with a fee amount of Rs.600/- per paper. This fee shall be paid through D.D. drawn in favour of Director of Evaluation, Exam Cell, University college of Engineering (A),O.U.drawn at S.B.H. Engg College Extn. Counter, O.U. In any case, the fee is non-refundable.
The Student have to download the Revaluation form (Application form) which is available on the OU official website.
The result will be displayed only at the Examination Cell. The new memo will be given at the Examination Cell Counter on submission of old memo.
If the discrepancy between the original marks and the revalued marks is 10% or more of the maximum marks of the paper, the revalued marks shall be taken as final and awarded to the candidate, and the result will be declared accordingly.
Get in touch with Us!
H.No.4-1-1001/1045/878B & 3-2, Beside Tajmahal Hotel, Behind Brand Factory, King Koti Road, Abids, Sultan Bazar, Hyderguda
Hyderabad - 500001, Telangana